Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Thinking about Nirvana today. On the way to work I was listening to Of Montreal’s cover of Teen Spirit. A great rendition. The recording is live so all the power and passion of the performance comes through. I realized that that song still gives me chills. Teen Spirit is easily one of the most important songs in my life. I think every time I go into a mosh pit at a show it is to recapture the feeling of dancing to that song. So much nostalgia for my waning youth wrapped up in that song. The sense of feeling invulnerable that you lose as you get older.

Other important songs: Candle by Sonic Youth. Smothered Hope by Skinny Puppy. Bela Lugosi’s Dead by Bauhaus, Wave of Mutilation by The Pixies, Waiting Room by Fugazi, Three Days by Jane’s Addiction, The Blue Room by The Orb, Common People by Pulp, were all songs that had a dramatic effect on who I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very cool, thanks for sharing. When I was still in elementary, The Cure - Close to Me, Inbetween Days, The Forest, saved me from top 40 hell. I was lucky too cause I had two older brothers with very different tastes (i.e Jon: Skinny Puppy, Joy Division vs Coby: Barenaked Ladies, and Tragically Hip). To this day, I have a range of tastes :)
Notably in the past decade, albums that made my jaw drop and forever altered my music path: Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot AND A Ghost is Born, as well as Spoon - To Kill the Moonlight (I was by myself in Zulu when I first heard it and I desperately looked around for someone to celebrate with. i felt like i had just discovered dad's playboys again)

- Rob